Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had engine whine with practically every setup Ive had excluding the times when I ran the speakers just off the headunit power.

Now, Ive found that installing a Ground Loop Isolator on my sub amp solves the issue. I have literally tried almost every trick Ive ever read about trying to get rid of the noise, and nothing has worked except for the GLI.

The purpose of this thread was to
1) Ask what the best GLI on the market
2) Id like to have a list made of all the common problems & solutions to having engine whine/ground loop problems and for this to be stickied. Id appreciate any and all feedback you guys can contribute to this.

Reactions: Jcxtreme30

·
Administrator
31,258 Posts
thread stickied. hope it's worth it.

I think in the end, your ground loop may exist between the two voltages you run and the only solution I know of is a GLI.

an Audio control LC1 can act as a GLI but it would need to run on the 16v side to do what you need.

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Im on ebay right now looking for a new GLI. I'll check out the LC1

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
man i had this same issue in the caddy. and was only running 12v. drove me fricking nuts. never found the problem either. 100's of hours tearing crap apart but nothing. id be interested to see if you ever find the prob to know what it is. i still lose sleep over it:angry5:

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the only things I havent tried is getting rid of the Mechman 270 that runs the 12v side of the truck. Now that I think of it its the only common denominator that could cause the issue, as I had engine whine problems with multiple mids/highs amps even before the 16v side was added.

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few minutes of research Im leaning towards the Jensen Iso-Max Ci-2RR

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So since it seems like nobody wants to contribute, I'll start with a list of things to try to get rid of engine whine.

First, and probably most common, is GROUNDS. Check all grounds for good connections. Always have the most solid and direct ground connection possible.

Second, check your RCA's! Some RCA's have screwed on connectors that can come loose and cause problems. Also, make sure your wires arent getting pinched bad anywhere. Also, its a good idea to route RCA's away from power/ground wires. Anything that could cause interference to pick up. It would also make sense to use a good quality RCA, but I cant back that up because Ive had good luck with "cheap" RCA's and have had some bad luck with more costly "brand name" RCA's.

Third. Check your equipment! I had a side plate come loose on an amp one time (probably from vibration) and it was contacting the RCA terminals of the amp and caused all sorts of noises. I thought I blew the amp up! Found and tightened all screws and problem went away.

Fourth. ----FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE PLEASE!!----

KEEP THIS GOING!!! ITS STICKIED!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i had a hu with the dongle style rcas and the grounding to those isn't as good for some reason so i had to wrap wird around the casing to rcas and then ground back to hu cage. that fixed the problem on one of my installs.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Maybe the pico fuse is fried in the HU :dontknow: I wasted 2 head units because I had a bad RCA cable :D F me again!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
A good FRAME ground will help.

Only had the problem once. Real bad. It was a bad amp.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
CACO Member
59 Posts
Maybe the pico fuse is fried in the HU :dontknow: I wasted 2 head units because I had a bad RCA cable :D F me again!

I had a similar problem to what socalxj was referring to. I tried everything to get rid of the engine noise but new RCAs didn't work for me. Somehow my headunit got messed up and when i tried GLIs it would take the noise down a little bit but not fully gone. Bought a new headunit and that made everything crystal clear, i could even redline my truck and don't hear any engine noise. I still haven't figured out how the headunit got damaged though.:icon_scratch:

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input guys, keep it comin!

I actually just put in a Pioneer Deh 80prs because I thought the Kenwood BT952HD was the problem. Same noise with the pioneer. Switched several different RCA's, both to the sub amp and the mids/highs amps and still no fix. Tried pretty much every ground trick imaginable and still no luck. Also tried grounding the rca's on all channels, at the HU and the amps, and several other tricks to no avail. Im hoping its not my sub amp thats causing this issue :(

Somebody wanna borrow me a big brazillian amp? lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
I tried every trick in the book and nothing worked except the Stinger GLI.

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just an update, Stinger GLI solved my issue. (for now) Gonna re-wire my whole truck eventually

·
Tinder Douchebag
7,122 Posts
I am having terrible whine.

Stock head unit, cache cloc'd, old optimus crossover. I have not used these in the house, so I am almost certain it's one of these, a pinched wire, or my ground is sub-par, somewhere.

Absolutely no problems with the sub what-so-ever. It's only in the tweeters, and only in the car.

I can hear a police siren type noise when the car is off. When it's on, it has alt whine. I don't notice it too much with music, but it's still annoying.

I just switched out kicker z2 and monster thick RCA's with xscorpion quad shielded and they didn't help, so it's definitely either pinching or one of the devices or the grounds.

I have literally everything on the same power and ground. All directly to battery. Even the stock head unit. I do notice a tiny bit of noise from the panel on the stock unit, but I'm thinking that is just the display.

I have another crossover, a kenwood single din and 3 non-electronic LOC's I am going to try and see if that helps at all. Hopefully I can pinpoint the problem.

I guess that means tearing the car apart AGAIN and then starting really basic. I'll start with just the 2 channel and 2 tweeters and the crossover and running a new set of RCA's down the middle of the car in the cabin (not under the carpet or anything in case they are getting pinched or getting interference)

The funniest thing out of all this was that the alt whine got worse after I routed the alt-battery wire to the drivers side (stock has it pass over to the passenger around the front of the back seats) and ran all the speaker and RCA's on the passenger side...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
im fighting after trying to update head unit..iuve never had this issue but im going through my list..ive even driven amps in car off out source switched rcas still whines..

·
Registered
985 Posts
You guys should hook up your phone straight to your amp and see if the noise continues. Solves half of the guessing right there.

·
Elite Member
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys should hook up your phone straight to your amp and see if the noise continues. Solves half of the guessing right there.

lolwut

·
Registered
985 Posts
3.5mm splitter and grab 2 3.5mm to red n white RCA. It'll prove if it's your amp or something further down the line.

A very little static may be present though, but it's like put your ear right in front of the speaker

1 - 20 of 49 Posts