Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding on an amp.

I'll be running two Sundown E8 v2's in a sealed enclosure.

i'm very fond of Kicker and Sundown, but i can't decide if 750 watts would be best, or should i tame it down with 500 watts.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
271 Posts
D2's or D4's? and for daily id stick to around 500

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's better to have too much power on tap than not enough. With too much power you can always turn your gains down once you've done your input matching. With too little power you have less headroom and less options down the road.

Unless you're talking a 700RMS bad amp compared to a 500RMS good amp, I would almost never say that its better to get the smaller amp (and those situations would be size/efficiency constraints mostly). Especially if they're the same price, or close.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D2's or D4's? and for daily id stick to around 500
they are D2's...and yes, this is a daily beater, no contests...just good music.

It's better to have too much power on tap than not enough. With too much power you can always turn your gains down once you've done your input matching. With too little power you have less headroom and less options down the road.

Unless you're talking a 700RMS bad amp compared to a 500RMS good amp, I would almost never say that its better to get the smaller amp (and those situations would be size/efficiency constraints mostly). Especially if they're the same price, or close.
i'm on board with your school of thought, the E8 v1's held together real well with my PG R8.01 (600 watts @ 2ohm), so you figure 300 going to each sub.

now the E8 vs'2 look to handle a tad bit more power, which gets me thinking something like a zx750.1 may be just right...

if this helps others make a decision, i'll be running 2-Diamond Audio Hex s600s and 2-Alpine 5.25 coax off of a JL Audio 300.4.

another thing, the gain on my PG R8.01 was set just under 1/4 full on.

sooo, zx750.1 too much or just right??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i was to look at the 500-750 watt range at 2 ohms, what other amps would you consider other than Kicker??

·
Registered
271 Posts
if i was to look at the 500-750 watt range at 2 ohms, what other amps would you consider other than Kicker??
Ah snap i forgot to reply to this,lol.

Anyway, i got to thinkin about it, how about ya get a used Sundown 1000d an run it at 2ohms? they put out like 500-600 at 2ohms(Maybe more, can't remember)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah snap i forgot to reply to this,lol.

Anyway, i got to thinkin about it, how about ya get a used Sundown 1000d an run it at 2ohms? they put out like 500-600 at 2ohms(Maybe more, can't remember)
thanks for the response bud! i'm definitely open to Sundown, I just looked at the 1200d, i think that replaced the 1000d...it's listed at 700+ at 2 ohms. I haven't compared prices with the ZX750.1, so i'll do some more research...

·
Registered
172 Posts
The AudioQue 1200D does 870 rms @ 2 ohm. That would give you head room and they do rated power. Plus for the price they're a good deal. Finding one used can save you even more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts