Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to re fiberglass my doors. i had 2 6.5 CDT components in the doors and i currently want to upgrade. i am limited to only 2 way active (RF 360.2). So my question...should i go for 1 10...2 8s..or maybe 3 6.5s? looking for PA speakers. i want loud highs, not super heavy, and sound good( NOT harsh. I have horns under my dash currently. so no need for tweeters.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I want to re fiberglass my doors. i had 2 6.5 CDT components in the doors and i currently want to upgrade. i am limited to only 2 way active (RF 360.2). So my question...should i go for 1 10...2 8s..or maybe 3 6.5s? looking for PA speakers. i want loud highs, not super heavy, and sound good( NOT harsh. I have horns under my dash currently. so no need for tweeters.
Check out the efficiency on these - Scan-Speak 15M/4624G Discovery, 5.25" Midrange

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Def would suggest (2) 8s, very loud and will keep up with your substage very well.

I had (4) Powerbass 4xl 8s off a Punch 850.2 just free air in the car and at full volume, could not hear my own voice lol.

Selenium, or Powerbasses would do the trick, but depends on what you have for power, (most PA are 8 ohm, except for the Powerbasses which are 4 ohm drivers)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have the ZED amp. 150x6 @4. i can bridge the amp and get [email protected] i can run the 8ohms in parallel and get a 4 ohm load which will be 2 ohms per channel. so i have plenty of power. the other 2 channels will run the horns i have. new substage will be 6 DC Level 4xls on 2 3500D's on 18v in a 4th order blowthrough :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
well i have the ZED amp. 150x6 @4. i can bridge the amp and get [email protected] i can run the 8ohms in parallel and get a 4 ohm load which will be 2 ohms per channel. so i have plenty of power. the other 2 channels will run the horns i have. new substage will be 6 DC Level 4xls on 2 3500D's on 18v in a 4th order blowthrough :)

I see, you have plenty of power on tap. What kind of horns do you have again?

And that substage = :eek:, should be a killer.

·
NOT LOUDER THAN YOU :(
7,335 Posts
^^^^ are a good choice. o2 audio makes some killer mids in most sizes along with silenium and powerbass. all are awsome and get hella loud and sound good.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see, you have plenty of power on tap. What kind of horns do you have again?

And that substage = :eek:, should be a killer.
I have Illusion Audio Horns.

I hope it is. i had 2 btls and they sounded pretty good..

American bass mids FTW
hmmm link?

^^^^ are a good choice. o2 audio makes some killer mids in most sizes along with silenium and powerbass. all are awsome and get hella loud and sound good.
i was really htinkin about the new sundown audio mids. 2 8s in each door would be great. but would the extra money be worth it? they are $99 each. so what mids could i get for under $400. i am trying to get something that keeps up with the upgraded substage, not looking to win any SQ comps. But at the same time i dont want them to be harsh like i know some of them can be.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you have a zed leviathan and you're using PA speakers? you're seriously going to give me a heart attack.
lol i knew someone would say that. i got the ZED for the power it made. not for the SQ side of it. i wanted to run a single amp that i could run with my 3 sets of comps with at the time passive. if you can find me car audio mids that will keep up with that substage. have at it. i really dont want to do more than 2 drivers per door. hence why i wanna do 2 8s. i plan on doing the doors for myself for the first time to get some experience with FG. my old setup was 2 sets of 6.5 comps in each door and they kept up pretty good with the substage. wish it was a little louder though. and only way to be louder is more drivers and/or bigger drivers. thats the reason i went with horns under the dash to take care of running so many tweeters.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
got any vids with yours playin?
Not yet, just got them in last week. Might get a vid tomorrow tho since today we have like 40mph winds and its crazy out. But I am running 6 mids and 2 supertweeters(as you can see in my sig), and it is VERY LOUD and so clear. I love them.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Since you got those horns, id suggest the Selenium for an cheaper alternative because you can cross the horns so low and have them blend in with your mids.

If it was me, and I had the money, id do these, 18 Sound 8MB400 8" driver

US SPEAKER Home Page Menu - Speaker Cabinets, Guitar Bass Amps, upgrades and custom design. The world’s widest choice of speaker parts. “If you have listened to live music, you have almost certainly listened to Eminence”

Nice xmax and frequency response, with a steep slope of 24 octave you should be able to cross these well below 100hz. Bandpass them between that and 800hz to 1k on the upper end, (depending on how low your horns play) and you would be golden.

If you were considering a single 10 per door, this is another good option,

B & C 10NW64 10" Neodymium Woofer

Second review is a forum member on here that used them along with a set of horns in his truck and loved them. Crossed them over low so had plenty of midbass.

Just a few options, as you can tell, I weighted out something like this a while ago lol.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not yet, just got them in last week. Might get a vid tomorrow tho since today we have like 40mph winds and its crazy out. But I am running 6 mids and 2 supertweeters(as you can see in my sig), and it is VERY LOUD and so clear. I love them.
def would be good for a vid:)

Since you got those horns, id suggest the Selenium for an cheaper alternative because you can cross the horns so low and have them blend in with your mids.

If it was me, and I had the money, id do these, 18 Sound 8MB400 8" driver

US SPEAKER Home Page Menu - Speaker Cabinets, Guitar Bass Amps, upgrades and custom design. The world’s widest choice of speaker parts. “If you have listened to live music, you have almost certainly listened to Eminence”

Nice xmax and frequency response, with a steep slope of 24 octave you should be able to cross these well below 100hz. Bandpass them between that and 800hz to 1k on the upper end, (depending on how low your horns play) and you would be golden.

If you were considering a single 10 per door, this is another good option,

B & C 10NW64 10" Neodymium Woofer

Second review is a forum member on here that used them along with a set of horns in his truck and loved them. Crossed them over low so had plenty of midbass.

Just a few options, as you can tell, I weighted out something like this a while ago lol.
hmmm well what did you ever decide to go with? I like keeping the all sundown...but somewhere you have to stray away from it. lol only problem with a 10...would they be able to cross over at 1000?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I did have the (4) powerbass 8s and the punch 850.2 setup but decided to simiplfly it since I didnt want to glass my doors yet.

Im using a Eminence 8" Beta Coxial along with a Eminence APT 50 tweeter all going in my kick panels

Eminence Beta-8CX 8" Coaxial Driver | Parts-Express.com

Eminence APT-50 Super Tweeter | Parts-Express.com

Tempted to try to build these kick panels myself but fiberglassing is a bit much for me, lol.

And a 10 would be fine at 1000hz, at one time I was going to use a pair of those B&C 10s I posted and a Crescendo supertweeter and cross them over around 3000hz, im positive that 1k would be fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts