Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!
I am trying to test the amperage of a circuit before I plug in some electronic components (peltiers). From the Arduino shield it is a 12V output, then it goes through a resistor lowering the voltage to 9.3V or so. It is approximately 10 amps, but I would like to actually test it before assuming.
How do I test this using a multimeter? Obviously the multimeter has to be part of the circuit, but how much of a load do I need o 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2021 n the circuit as well? I do not want to plug in the peltiers until I am able to measure the amperage.
Also, I have a smaller 5 amp circuit that I am going to "practice" on to be safer and not approach the 10A maximum on the multimeter.
Please advise! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!
I am trying to test the amperage of a circuit before I plug in some electronic components (peltiers). From the Arduino shield it is a 12V output, then it goes through a resistor lowering the voltage to 9.3V or so. It is approximately 10 amps, but I would like to actually test it before assuming.
How do I test this using a multimeter? Obviously the multimeter has to be part of the circuit, but how much of a load do I need o 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2021 n the circuit as well? I do not want to plug in the peltiers until I am able to measure the amperage.
Also, I have a smaller 5 amp circuit that I am going to "practice" on to be safer and not approach the 10A maximum on the multimeter.
Please advise! Thanks!
The best thing to do would be use a clamp meter in association with your multimeter or a standalone clamp meter. You can get one of these at Harbor freight. When you referenced lowering the voltage with the resistor, there are likely voltage regulators being used because a resistor that would handle 10 A would be an enormous resistor and it would generate a lot of heat. Peltier coolers are pretty inefficient overall. It would probably be easiest to use your multimeter to measure just one of the Peltier coolers current draw if they are all the same and multiply that number to determine overall draw. If your power supply is being utilized at or near its rated current output it will likely generate a fair amount of heat and its lifespan will be shortened. It would be best to use relays from your trigger along with a larger stand-alone power supply to power all of your coolers. You can order an inexpensive 12 V switching power supply on eBay for around $30 that will have 25 A of output.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts