Votes: 4 80.0%
  • L port

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Making it rain with 1's
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pro's and con's of Infinite baffle and the pro's and con's of an L port. i was on the phone today with i believe matt from ID audio and he was useful but jeezus christ he can talk alot. but i learned some new things too with it.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
There a bit different. You can easily get more SPL with a ported box. IB will slam good on the lightest notes and sound goood and get low. I vote IB just because i like it so much, but it dosn't mean i compare it to a ported style.

You can setup IB subs for a very linear and flat response. The subs usually have low inductance, and they can still slam nicely and sound goood. Cone/excursion is great like PD said in your other thread.

·
Making it rain with 1's
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There a bit different. You can easily get more SPL with a ported box. IB will slam good on the lightest notes and sound goood. I vote IB just because i like it so much, but it dosn't mean i compare it to a ported style.
i want to try IB just for the fact its so cheap yet so effective

·
Making it rain with 1's
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go for it.
i was shocked to hear that i do not have to be seriously anal about sealing up the trunk AND that i can port it. Do you by any chance know how to caculate a port for an IB enclosure?

·
Making it rain with 1's
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did kryptonite tell you that lol. I don't know about it, iv'e never tried or anything.

No kyptonite did not tell me that i think it was a guy by the name of dan from image dynamics.

·
Man Behind the Curtain
1,699 Posts
i was shocked to hear that i do not have to be seriously anal about sealing up the trunk AND that i can port it. Do you by any chance know how to caculate a port for an IB enclosure?

You don't have to be anal, but the better the seal the better off you are. Porting a IB, thats not a IB then. Just a large ported box. Something I wouldn't do. Either run ported or run IB.

Pros for Ported- Louder, handle more power, Can tune for your response

Cons- Heavy box, takes up more room (foot print), has more of a peaked response comparted to IB.

Pros for IB- Don't need alot of power, easy to build, super flat response, takes up less space (foot print).

Cons- Lower overall spl, lower power handling.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You don't have to be anal, but the better the seal the better off you are. Porting a IB, thats not a IB then. Just a large ported box. Something I wouldn't do. Either run ported or run IB.

Pros for Ported- Louder, handle more power, Can tune for your response

Cons- Heavy box, takes up more room, has more of a peaked response comparted to IB.

Pros for IB- Don't need alot of power, easy to build, super flat response, takes up less space.

Cons- Lower overall spl, lower power handling.
you have those backwards. Ported boxes are smaller, IB takes up more room.

but yea, you cant port IB, its really just a box with at least 10x the reccomended seal size, you just want to separate the front and rear wave.

·
Registered
33,855 Posts
IB does take up less room, IB in a car is just a baffle using the trunk as an enclosure. in a house you have a much harder time doing that so you make an "infinite baffle" around the sub to trap the rear wave

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
you have those backwards. Ported boxes are smaller, IB takes up more room.

but yea, you cant port IB, its really just a box with at least 10x the reccomended seal size, you just want to separate the front and rear wave.

How is a ported enclosure smaller than IB? There is no enclosure in IB, just a baffle separating the front and rear waves.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
IB does take up less room, IB in a car is just a baffle using the trunk as an enclosure. in a house you have a much harder time doing that so you make an "infinite baffle" around the sub to trap the rear wave
HAHA you beat me to the punch!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
a true infinite baffle is a huge sealed enclosure, in car audio it would take up way to much space so we do it a different way to separate the waves
I completely agree...it is difficult to achieve "true" IB in a car. Only thing that comes close is using an aperiodic membrane, but then it technically isn't IB anymore.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
if you feel like putting things inside your IB setups "box" then its less room,
but if you have a tiny car and need 20 cubes to do a proper IB setup, its bigger when a ported box might only need 4 or 5 cubes

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
if you feel like putting things inside your IB setups "box" then its less room,
but if you have a tiny car and need 20 cubes to do a proper IB setup, its bigger when a ported box might only need 4 or 5 cubes
IB is not a box, it is an alignment. I don't think I have ever seen an IB setup in a car that have 10x VAS in an IB setup. I can go back through magazines and dig up World Championship SQ installs using IB alignments and I guarantee none of them have 10x VAS.

I see what you are getting at, but you are arguing a moot point.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
IB is not a box, it is an alignment. I don't think I have ever seen an IB setup in a car that have 10x VAS in an IB setup. I can go back through magazines and dig up World Championship SQ installs using IB alignments and I guarantee none of them have 10x VAS.

I see what you are getting at, but you are arguing a moot point.

I know its not a box, but there is not infinite in a car so its pretty much a big sealed box.
but as long as we both get what each other is saying.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts