Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking and began to wonder if it were possible to use two subwoofers with different voicecoil configurations? like two subs that were the same, but one is a dual 4 and the other is a dual 2

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
no

·
Idk what Im talking about
8,346 Posts
Definitely is possible...and it's definitely not the right thing to do lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
its possible, and if you wired them together (for whatever that reason would be) you would have some weird ohms. but im sure it wouldnt sound very good though

·
is strung out on QUAD
438 Posts
iv done it and DONT i repeat DONT do it unless u wanna destroy a sub. first hand knowledge 4 JL w3s 3 d4s and a d6 2 d4s wired on a line and the other d4 and d6 on the other paralleled the lines which was a 2 ohm roughly sealed single chamber box 5cf. and destroyed the d4 that was paired with tha d6. so i had left was a set of w3d4s and a d6 :sad5:

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
you know the reason why it's a bad idea? If you have one subwoofer that's 2 ohms and one subwoofer that's 4 ohms, there is a huge problem and it goes like this:

even though your amplifier sees a final ohm load of 3 ohms, your subs won't get even power, because the 2 ohm sub has half the resistance of the 4 ohm sub, *SO* the 2 ohm sub will get double the power that the 4 ohm sub will

·
Registered
258 Posts
You could use them but on seperate amps and in seperate enclosures. The two would never operate correctly on the same amp in the same enclosure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts