Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Technically you cant "crimp" without a hydraulic crimper.
The fastest way is to hammer them. Makes a sufficient connection, not the best.
Soldering makes the best connection when done correctly, but take some time.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I cut my wire a little bit longer than the input on the ring terminal and hammer it down, then use a flat head screwdriver and hammer 2 extra dents in it. I don't know if the flat head helps it hold any better but it seems to.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ive used vice grips and just gradually gotten it tighter and tighter....takes some time, and gets kinda hard to do after a while, but it seems to be holding up very well so far :dontknow:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Solder them.
I take a small gob of flux stick into the terminal, while holding terminal w/ vise grips take the torch to it, once the flux starts to boil stick the solder wire down into the terminal. Never taking the torch away stick the cable down into the terminal then pull the torch away. Instant bond, so u can give it a tug to make sure a second or to after you pull the torch away.

DO Not pull the torch away then stick the wire in!!! Itll b to late

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use 60% lead 40% tin resin core solder and it works well. Put your ring terminal in a vice or if you dont have one vice grips. and heat it till the solder will melt in it while the solder is still hot shove it the stripped wire end. hold for a few seconds and its done. if it comes out when you pull on it repeat the process but get your solder hotter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i went out today and my home depot and radioshack where out of solder that i needed and i count find soldering paste flux. i went to lowes and found paste flux and solder. has anyone every use lenox brand solder?

·
Registered
577 Posts
DONT BUY ROSIN CORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU NEED NEEED NEEEED SILVER SOLDER for electrical

·
n00b looking to learn...
1,531 Posts
I know there are a lot who favor solder but I love my crimper personally...here is the thread that I posted about the equipment I use...
Car Audio Classifieds

1 - 20 of 38 Posts