Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of right now, I am running some Kicker KS65.2's up front, and they could most definitely sound better. I'm just looking for some suggestions.

I can do 4's, 5.25, 5x7, or 6.5s, or anything in between. My car's stock setup was 5x7's, but I can make adapter plates no problem.

My budget is anywhere up to $200 for a set of mids. I have plenty of tweeters laying around. I have kickers and some off brands. I do not need spectacular tweeters. Highs tend to hurt my ears regardless. So if it is simply a pair of mids, That is totally fine.

Pushing them will be a Power Acoustik BAMF800, which is 180rms @ 2ohms, 150 @ 4 ohms, just to give you an idea of what I am working with.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
As of right now, I am running some Kicker KS65.2's up front, and they could most definitely sound better. I'm just looking for some suggestions.

I can do 4's, 5.25, 5x7, or 6.5s, or anything in between. My car's stock setup was 5x7's, but I can make adapter plates no problem.

My budget is anywhere up to $200 for a set of mids. I have plenty of tweeters laying around. I have kickers and some off brands. I do not need spectacular tweeters. Highs tend to hurt my ears regardless. So if it is simply a pair of mids, That is totally fine.

Pushing them will be a Power Acoustik BAMF800, which is 180rms @ 2ohms, 150 @ 4 ohms, just to give you an idea of what I am working with.
We will need to know what tweeter options you have. It's impossible to pick a mid until we know what frequency bandwidth it needs to play.

Also, what do your doors look like? Have you sealed them? Deadened them?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deadener is in order. most definitely. Depending on the price of the mids, I may go for some tweeters from parts express. It may just be easier to suggest a whole front stage instead of just the mids.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Deadener is in order. most definitely. Depending on the price of the mids, I may go for some tweeters from parts express. It may just be easier to suggest a whole front stage instead of just the mids.

I agree. do you have the ability to run an active setup? I thought you said you only had a 2 channel amp?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. do you have the ability to run an active setup? I thought you said you only had a 2 channel amp?
Explain. Do you mean do I have an amp for each set? like a 6 channel? if so, no. I only have a 2 channel. I am tossing around the idea of selling the 2 channel and upgrading to something more sq based though.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
what kind of headunit do you have? does it have processing/ta?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like I am being told a bunch of stuff I should know. Maybe I am just used to being flamed if I come asking questions every else knows.

What do you mean by TA? From the looks of it, not my HU does not have a DAC. I have always wanted a touch screen or double din. are there any nice cheap ones out there? I don't mind a single din though.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I feel like I am being told a bunch of stuff I should know. Maybe I am just used to being flamed if I come asking questions every else knows.

What do you mean by TA? From the looks of it, not my HU does not have a DAC. I have always wanted a touch screen or double din. are there any nice cheap ones out there? I don't mind a single din though.
your head unit has a DAC. They all do. It's necessary to play a CD.

Most h/us don't talk about their DAC because it's junk. That's why I said to get one with a nice 24 bit DAC .

TA is time alignment, and it is an adjustment that allows you to make sound from each speaker arrive at your ears simultaneously even though they're at different locations. A high end head unit should have time alignment along with EQ (equalizer) and a nice DAC as well. Another thing to look for is the voltage of the rca preouts - anything 4 volts and above is good.

A pioneer premier or an alpine 9887 both have all of the above. There are certainly other units that are worth considering, but I can't think of any at this moment so I'll let others suggest some.

The reason it's nice to splurge on a head unit is because you won't need additional processing if your head unit can handle it. External processing is a bit pricy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right. I realize it was stupid to say it doesn't have one, after you explained what it does haha. I can already see the spending racking up. I have looked into specs on the HU, and as far as i remember the preouts were 2.5volt or below. I'm not totally illiterate when it comes to this. I have been fiddling around in the SPL department for a year or so, but lack of funds makes it hard to get too far into it.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Right. I realize it was stupid to say it doesn't have one, after you explained what it does haha. I can already see the spending racking up. I have looked into specs on the HU, and as far as i remember the preouts were 2.5volt or below. I'm not totally illiterate when it comes to this. I have been fiddling around in the SPL department for a year or so, but lack of funds makes it hard to get too far into it.

well, I learned the hard way that the greatest benefit can be had by starting from the beginning and adding one nice piece at a time, building piece by piece, rather than buying a whole bunch of lesser stuff.

The unit that was recommended above is actually pretty nice. It has a ton of functionality for the money and also an 8 band parametric EQ, plus 4v outputs. It doesn't have time alignment though, and the output might not be as clean as a head unit specifically dedicated to SQ. If you want something that is a compromise between looks and function and SQ then it's a great option. If you want to go strict SQ I would recommend something else for that kind of budget. Like this Amazon.com: Pioneer Deh-P9800Bt In-Dash Cd/Mp3 Receiver With Oel Display: Car Electronics

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You have no idea lol. I have around 2 grand in deadening along in my car :confused1: and thats before any of my other equipment.

anyway, if you really do want a double din I would suggest an Alpine IVA-W200. Its an older deck(2004-5? I cant remember) but they can be had used for around 250-300 and when teamed up with the alpine H701 processor is a very stellar combination, however, if you do not want to do that external processor I would be very much against this deck.

Like wheres the butter has mentioned the alpine 9887 would be a solid choice for you and is a great way to learn about running active with.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha $325 isn't what I consider affordable. That Focal I was looking at in a different thread I posted may actually be in order if i can save for a little bit.

As for my BAMF800/2, I am guessing you guys would tell me to sell it and jump on the focal first, then go to the HU, door speaker amp, speakers, etc? Most of my listening is done from my ipod through my deck, so I am not exactly sure if that effects it. I know files are slightly compressed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Buy an alpine 9887 first to learn on. They go for 200 I think? That will have what you need to get started.

I cant say anything on your current amp other than a 4 channel would be more versatile so look into selling and getting one? Or keep it for mid duty and buy another amp and run tweeters off it?

And to me headroom is king. I have 650 watts on tap per mid in my car. No theyll never see that much and im not suggesting running that much just giving an example

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Buy an alpine 9887 first to learn on. They go for 200 I think? That will have what you need to get started.

I cant say anything on your current amp other than a 4 channel would be more versatile so look into selling and getting one? Or keep it for mid duty and buy another amp and run tweeters off it?

And to me headroom is king. I have 650 watts on tap per mid in my car. No theyll never see that much and im not suggesting running that much just giving an example

the 9887 is like $300-$350 brand new depending on where you find it... you can get one used for $200 though. Good choice IMO.

I think your #1 best bet is to do your head unit first. For SQ, honestly, the subwoofer is one of the last things on the menu. When it come to substage, the driver itself is not as important as how you use it. That means enclosure design, placement, level matching and EQ, transition between midbass/sub bass... And also eliminating rattles and buzzing because those completely ruin the "bass up front" illusion.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I actually have an alpine 9815 for sale if interested? I'm only asking 120. It's similar to the 9887 I believe and its the deck I learned how to run active with

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Active as in making each speaker sound the same regardless of actual distance? Care to send me a link? I can't find anything. Maybe this would be more suited to pms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts