Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i ran into an issue today, which isnt TOO bad just its one of those things that dont go as planned that you gotta get around

well i was going to start a portion of my new build today, or at least test fit (thank god i test fit on this and didnt run into it last minute)

but i had originally planned to fit my ID CTX65cs comps in my doors, the mids are 6.5" which generally i can fit that cir***france, however.. not that specific depth

i made these rings to go on the door panel, they are 3/4" MDF, with a 1/4" flush cut out for them.. they fit in the rings like a charm (first time i made my own rings - so i was happy) i primered them and painted em

now actually in the doors:

NOW i came into this KNOWING i would have to cutout some of the door panel to get the mid to get inside the door, that was expected cause it is stock 4x6 size... now when i went to test fit" the woofer here is what i got:

door panel, mounting ring, woofer.. with about a 1" gap from the woofer to the mounting ring, no.. the woofer isnt having an issue passing through the 4x6 hole (yet) the motor is hitting the window track inside the door panel , as you may be able to see how close in the pic below:

i wouldnt exactly say POOR planning, i never thought about it cause ive fit 6" and 6.5" mids in there before, the reason i went with these mounting rings was because the 4x6 adapters that are available from my car go from 1/2" to 1" on an angle and the woofer would hit against the door panel cause of the angle the original adapter was on

so now i have to figure out a way to get these to fit, gotten too far now to send them back for a refund and convert back down to 6" or even 5 1/4"

any suggestions? i considered doing something like this:

but IMO that would look tacky, and wouldnt i lose midbass? also, that door panel above is the same exact door panel i am working with, it is from the same kind of car (2002 Pontiac grand AM SE 4 door)

i did consider glassing door panels, but i really dont have the time, nor the experience to work with something like that

in the pic above showing the door panel with the speakers, where the SINGLE speaker is is where my factory grille is, its molded into the door panel so has to be cut out.

edit:

and now here is a pic of my door panel with the grille still in it, not my car this is a 2 door (hence the longer door) mines a 4 door but same design and placment:

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Make multiple mdf rings of whatever thickness they need to be until it fits and then get some sanding sealer and paint it black and bam there ya go. That will look clean too. As for the type of doors I think it would look good to show the speakers IMO but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make multiple mdf rings of whatever thickness they need to be until it fits and then get some sanding sealer and paint it black and bam there ya go. That will look clean too. As for the type of doors I think it would look good to show the speakers IMO but thats just me.
Can't, if I do layers of MDF rings I hot the door panel, 1" is absolute max from door skin to door panel

·
Registered
133 Posts
something's going to have to go. Window track, speakers, or a little bit of the panel.

Or just say F-it and go with kicks or center console placement. My 6.5"s will be built into my center console, no way are they going to fit in doors.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
if you don't wanna glass pods then you'll have to surface mount like in the pic. Doesn't look that bad and I "assume" your car isn't a show car, so funtionality wins out...

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
something's going to have to go. Window track, speakers, or a little bit of the panel.

Or just say F-it and go with kicks or center console placement. My 6.5"s will be built into my center console, no way are they going to fit in doors.
I just put 2 12's in my doors and you can't fit a single 6.5 :dontknow:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not without doing more to them then I feel like. Center console in the SUV is begging for something to fill it out a little more anyway. Lazy + wanting center console to look better = nothing in doors. For now at least

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would do some kick panel work. Those mids are worth the extra work imo

·
Ja Marcus
6,975 Posts

Yours aren't exactly stock anymore either.....lol

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is that leather/vinyl piece in 2 sections? If so you could glass the bottom portion?

However I suppose the easiest solution would be q logic kick panels? If you go that route i highly suggest going hardcore on some Deadener on them

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have a grand prix with pretty much the same door design. For me to fit 6.5" in there I had to cutout some of the actual door skin and the inside of the door panel. Let me explain lol. When you pull the panel off and flip it over, you will see plastic framework over the entire panel. I trimed off the plastic that was directly behind the speaker until the speaker /MDF ring cleared. Also if the door panel doesnt go back on, you may have to move the MDF ring foward alittle to clear. Wish I had pics but I dont

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ehh guess i'll just have to figure something out, or swap this mids out for some neo type design with a smaller motor/depth lol

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got a link to the xtc baffle you are using?

basically i know i am going to put them in the stock grille location, cause all options/suggestions are pointing towards putting it there just doing different things holding it in place sealing it ect

im just worried about losing any midbass at this point

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think im just gonna either get a new set of comps in 5 1/4" or 6" size, or find one thats actually 6.5" cause these measure at almost 6.8 which imo should be considred 6 3/4

now, i was able to get one of these mids to fit:

JBL - P660C - 6-1/2" 2-Way Component Speaker System

can be had on ebay for like 130-140 shipped, however they are 2 ohm and i dont want my sax100.4 to tear them apart

or does anyone else have any other suggestions? that size mid right there with its outer diameter and mounting depth are the absolute max i can fit, not a hair bigger

·
Registered
174 Posts

Where in the center console are you putting these? near the feet still just opposite side of where speakers usually are?? im interested in seeing this..

·
Registered
33,855 Posts
replacing the stock grills sounds great. it aims them up so it helps imaging as well.
get some non hardening clay and some open cell foam. put the clay under the mid to seal to door panel then build mdf rings to get it up against door then use the foam to seal the mdf to door but will still let you take door panel off later on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts