Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHORT SUMMARY OF MY SYSTEM
I recently purchased a brand new Obsidian 15D4 about 3 weeks ago. I have it hooked to a Hifonics 1000.1. I am using 750 watts RMS from the amp at 2ohms. I have a small 2.0 cubic foot sealed box(probably 1.81 after displacment.)I have heard nothing but good reviews about Obsidian but am a little dissappointed by the output.

QUESTION
A buddy of mine has a 3-4 cubic foot ported box that is tuned to 37hertz so i was wondering if I picked up this box would it significantly increase my output. I know that Obsidians are supposed to be tuned low so would it damage the subwoofer at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
i want more bigger db's
2,369 Posts
You would certainly see an improvement in output. It's sealed what did you really expect. And you aren't going to damage a subwoofer with tuning. I saw hands down pick up the ported enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Its not going to break the sub but it might not like really low notes too much if you play really low songs.
youll probably be surprised by how much louder it is in the ported box.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I'll pick up that box then. He said it is built with 1 inch MDF, carpeted, and the inside is resin coated. All that for just $50 doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks for the quick input fellas

·
Registered
33,855 Posts
your ported box is tuned that high ? and can play down to 20hz ?

i wonder what im doing wrong, i guess im doing it all wrong
no I won't run ported slop boxes, it was a rear loaded horn. I was just stating the resonant freq of the port doesn't matter as much as people think it does.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
rear loaded horn, im gonna look into them, i agree with the ported box being sloppy, at least thats what i got working for me right now

·
Registered
732 Posts
your current box could be lacking as well. For some reason 2 cubes sounds small for an OA 15 getting that little power... If I were you, I would have gotten a D2 so you could wire it down to 1 ohm and take full advantage of your amp and sub... I'd probably also build/have a custom box built for it. a single 15 on 1000w in an oversized sealed box would be pretty sweet :)

I say go ahead and grab the box if its a good deal. You could always alter it if you have to. Either way, it should yield a harder output than what you have now... as long as its a quality enclosure

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wish people would understand the giant difference in output between sealed and ported boxes before building a sealed box and posting about how little output they get from it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
crap i ended up repeating everything everyone said by the time i finished typing all that lol

Personally, I wouldn't run an Obsidian 15 in any box with single layer 1/4" MDF

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wish people would understand the giant difference in output between sealed and ported boxes before building a sealed box and posting about how little output they get from it.
Gotta start somewhere. I've build sealed boxes and had no issues with them. I'd rather this guy make a couple noob mistakes and eff up a couple sealed boxes than be one of those guys who just cuts a hole in a sealed enclosure and thinks its ported

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Hifonics HFI100.1 D, which I assume is the same amp you have. I'm running @ 1ohm and I'm probably not seeing 750W. @ 2ohms, I doubt you're seeing more than 500W. The amp is good, but I don't believe it will do rated power without a lot of clipping. Add that to the sealed box, and it's a definite recipe for less than stellar output.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts