Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i'm 26years old, prob the average age of most guys on here. I started working at a shop when i was 16 back in 2001, so i'm pretty familiar with all audio happenings since then, and familiar with some OG equipment!

I'm tired of looking at all the current stuff, do any of you OG Veteran guys that competed heavily back in the 90's have any old pics to share, possibly old video that's been converted onto youtube?

I always hear about "back in the day" and this and that... lets see some pics, installs, something! I saw some old vid's on Iasca's site and since then i wanna see more old school stuff!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the old pics man! I recognize most the amps, the old Art series and Us amps, but couldn't make out some of the subs besides the obvious ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man those were the days..
When Rockford rocked your block..kicker impulse.. the first solo baric..
when you had to have crossovers..and a pull out tape deck.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Man those were the days..
When Rockford rocked your block..kicker impulse.. the first solo baric..
when you had to have crossovers..and a pull out tape deck.

Don't forget that everyone ran class AB amps and all amps are expensive so taking care of your amp is serious business. Unlike these days where people think running an amp below 11v is perfectly fine and think spending $300 on an amp is a lot.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget that everyone ran class AB amps and all amps are expensive so taking care of your amp is serious business. Unlike these days where people think running an amp below 11v is perfectly fine and think spending $300 on an amp is a lot.

I like that power is more affordable now, but i remember paying an average of $1 per watt when i was in high school for smaller amps. 500w amps were still in the $350-$500 range. Had a little more appreciation for amps back then though, thought RF was made out of gold!

·
Doing 156s below the seat
1,372 Posts
1 dollar a watt? More like 3 or so..I've been doing this since 80s..when orion ppi rockford were big names..then the real soundstream out of folsom ca..I use to blow tweeter from there comp set and drive to them and get replacements for 100bucks..I did my 1st cut through in 85 with 4 becker 10s on 1 monolithic 2x70 amp which also ran my ultimate mids and peerless tweets at probly .25 per channel with a concord tape deck cause cd players weren't out yet

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I like that power is more affordable now, but i remember paying an average of $1 per watt when i was in high school for smaller amps. 500w amps were still in the $350-$500 range. Had a little more appreciation for amps back then though, thought RF was made out of gold!

Affordability brought quality way down and also introduced a new class of noobs into the game. I consider them equivalent to kids on XBox Live talking about how to use a machine gun like the videogame is real or something. People running 1500+ watts from a stock alt and 1 battery with 8 gauge wire then gets mad because it goes into protect or breaks due to their own stupidity. If things are expensive like back in the day then people would study up on car audio before trying it themselves. You never hear questions like "how to wire a speaker" or "what can my amp do" back in the 90s because no one spends a good chunk of money on something that they don't fully understand. I mean even Optimus amps from Radioshack costs $200 and they were considered crap.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 dollar a watt? More like 3 or so..I've been doing this since 80s..when orion ppi rockford were big names..then the real soundstream out of folsom ca..I use to blow tweeter from there comp set and drive to them and get replacements for 100bucks..I did my 1st cut through in 85 with 4 becker 10s on 1 monolithic 2x70 amp which also ran my ultimate mids and peerless tweets at probly .25 per channel with a concord tape deck cause cd players weren't out yet
My high school days were 99-03 so the price is accurate for my day.

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
My first SPL comp build was in my buddy's '71 super beetle. (4) Fosgate Series 1 15's (sealed, of course) on a red Orion 50w @ .5 ohm. Don't forget the bridging module and active crossovers!

I thought it was the loudest damn system on the planet. And for back then, it was nasty. It did 136db sealed on the dash on "Flashdance."

The world record holder at the time was there too. It was (12) Kicker 18's in an Astro. I forget what amps, but that was when each sub had it's own amp. Right at 160db, iirc.

Also, back then, install was a huge part of your score. It wasn't uncommon to see people winning the whole show doing high 120's. I believe the RTA was also included in overall score.

Can you imagine? SPL only being 1/3 of your score? With install and SQ being the other 2/3? I'd never make it. Lol.

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
^^^ yea i don't know if the bass bucket would fly in an install..
Back then, people would have shit themselves to see that number. I'd get laughed out of the show for install though. And um... zero highs. Lol

My buddy placed 2nd to last. His SPL number was above par, but you should have seen the guy's face when we put it on the RTA. Lmao. He was just like... shaking his head and laughing. I walked around to get a peek at the screen. There was only like one dot visible. Lmao.

P.S.- text me. I lost all my damn contacts.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Kind of wish they have Sound Quality competition again, but 99% of the people here (including myself) will fail all the IASCA tests like a dead horse in a horse race.

I plan on stepping back in time into the late 80s when I get my two Proton D275s back from the shop... one of the very few amps in which the peak power rating is actually real :eek:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
My first SPL comp build was in my buddy's '71 super beetle. (4) Fosgate Series 1 15's (sealed, of course) on a red Orion 50w @ .5 ohm. Don't forget the bridging module and active crossovers!

I thought it was the loudest damn system on the planet. And for back then, it was nasty. It did 136db sealed on the dash on "Flashdance."

The world record holder at the time was there too. It was (12) Kicker 18's in an Astro. I forget what amps, but that was when each sub had it's own amp. Right at 160db, iirc.

Also, back then, install was a huge part of your score. It wasn't uncommon to see people winning the whole show doing high 120's. I believe the RTA was also included in overall score.

Can you imagine? SPL only being 1/3 of your score? With install and SQ being the other 2/3? I'd never make it. Lol.
The guy with the Astro you are talking about was Doug Smith. Before the Kicker, he ran ProTech subs, Hifonics amps. CRAZY loud and moved STUPID air for back then. I used to run full USAC shows with my truck and the Astro I built for the shop I worked at (the pic in my avatar was the enclosure) Yep, we ran full SQ, RTA, install, and still did 154 in SPL...NEVER lost a show in the top Pro class...miss those days...

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
The guy with the Astro you are talking about was Doug Smith. Before the Kicker, he ran ProTech subs, Hifonics amps. CRAZY loud and moved STUPID air for back then. I used to run full USAC shows with my truck and the Astro I built for the shop I worked at (the pic in my avatar was the enclosure) Yep, we ran full SQ, RTA, install, and still did 154 in SPL...NEVER lost a show in the top Pro class...miss those days...
Honestly, I miss it too.I have ZERO motivaton to make shit puurty. But making things nice and neat makes testing a serious PITA, so I dunno about install counting.

I do wish they would go back to a "music" type format though. Everybody using the same song and some sort of useable, musical frequency. Hell, they could even change the song every year. That would mix it up.

I love big numbers just like everybody else, but let's get back to why we started in this thing, you know?

Side bar USACi rant... I f'n HATE having to have a certain amp and more importantly... a certain car to be competitive at the highest levels. I understand there have to be rules and limitations, but it's gotten to the point of pigeonholing it so badly that if you don't have the vehicle and the amp for your class, don't even bother.

Here's TaylorFade's USACi winning recipe. If you don't have this, don't bother coming to finals. And most people don't. And don't.

-Stock or Super Stock 0-6, 601, 1801
---S10/Mazda + D5/pf600/4.1 + (3) 15's or 18's
---You can still be competitive with a CRX but you will now get killed by minis.

- Mod
---Astro + D5's + (6) 15's or (4) 18's.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
We don't have USACi around here...FLB up here is 30 second avg with music. I do agree about all playing the same song, though it's tough because some vehicles just can't peak at the same frequencies, but it would be fun...I posted a couple pics of the Astro with 9- JL 18w6 we are building in the build logs if you guys want to check it out...that's an old-school type of build we are doing...I'll be posting more pics as it gets done.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea i hate that i had to buy that cactus 600.1, i like the amp but not the price, could have gotten more power for less.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The whole power rating thing is tough. We used to do it that way, but it wasn't so limited. I think they should do something like 1-5000 watts, 5001-10000, 10001-up, and then split it between 1-2 subs, 3-4 subs, and 5-up subs or something like that...that would be a somewhat fair way of doiung things in some organization...

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
yea i hate that i had to buy that cactus 600.1, i like the amp but not the price, could have gotten more power for less.
Beast amp though. I'd prob still run USACi style amps even without the 4 ohm thing, but it'd be nice to have some damn options.

Let's go rile up the old timers on USACi with the going back to the same song thing. Lol. They LOVE talking about rule changes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts