Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your guy's thoughts on me offering Passive radiator parts (the assembly parts where the coil goes)

I have a few variances to the product its self. one sandwiches the spider while another piece sandwiches the cone. a different design has one part (think big flat washer) on top of the cone (under the dust cap) and one part under the spider and a bolt through them

benefits of plastic vs steel washers- more customizable size wise, colors if that matters, lighter start weight to help fine tune to your target tuning and its plenty strong.

heres an example of the spider clamping block. yes the material handles CA glue and activator fine

·
SNOTFACE!
5,371 Posts
would be nice to see a variant that easily allows adding or subtracting mass from,... or, a variant that allows you to adjust spider stiffness.

·
Premium Member
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the part that I pictured above is an example of what I would offer, that's just one piece of 2. the way I see it, the spider and cone meet or there spaced. if they were spaced, you would need what is pictured and a similar piece that is slightly taller to fit in the cone neck to sandwich it. you would glue the sandwiched pieces together then run a bolt through the center hole to connect them with a not locking each section of the assembly in place (if that makes sense)

the other kind would be a triple joint type setup where theres a plastic washer above the cone under the cap and one below the spider which are glued to there respective piece (top washer to the cone, bottom to the spider) then bolted together. you would then add washers to the bolt to increase/decrease tuning

·
Lock up your daughters!
1,342 Posts
I liked the idea of using passive radiators, but the roll-off after tuning is ridiculous

·
Premium Member
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill leave the roll off/tuning and bandwidth to the guys that know more about it then me, I just want to help people be able to readily build them without rednecking the parts/assembly

·
Registered
416 Posts
Are you 3d printing this? You should 3d print a screw on dustcap assembly allow the weights to be added to the front of passive and then screw a dustcap cover on over the top of it.

That way tuning on the fly can be done without taking the passives out of the box like you normally do. Simply unscrew the dustcap, add weight and screw it back on.

I've been thinking about making some BEAST passive radiators and the only part I couldn't figure out how to DIY was the pieces you have here.... Bravo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I liked the idea of using passive radiators, but the roll-off after tuning is ridiculous
Just 6db/octave more than ported. Still passives are not nearly as idiot proof since they have mechanical clearances, so proper SSF is a must. However they do have the advantage of taking up almost no space compared to a adequately sized port. They also suffer from less compression than most ports will as well.

They arent' something you use just to use, but when you NEED to use them in a design, there simply isn't anything quite like them. I had a trunk setup with 2 15's in 7 cubic feet tuned at 25hz. Good luck fitting a drop in box with a good sized port otherwise. Would have been like 10 gross as compared to the 7.5 gross it ended up being lol.

·
Premium Member
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you 3d printing this? You should 3d print a screw on dustcap assembly allow the weights to be added to the front of passive and then screw a dustcap cover on over the top of it.

That way tuning on the fly can be done without taking the passives out of the box like you normally do. Simply unscrew the dustcap, add weight and screw it back on.

I've been thinking about making some BEAST passive radiators and the only part I couldn't figure out how to DIY was the pieces you have here.... Bravo.
Dustcaps are a very hard thing to print . I've been asked many times. The issue is layer overlap. It's sort of like cnc where you want to take a little less then half the mills width per pass to keep things clean. with a dust cap, the rise over run is so fast that the layers barely overlap like so they fall off each other. Only way to beat it is to increase the wall thickness but that exaggerates the weight and cost

1 - 11 of 11 Posts