Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the build has started so I figure I'll make a log of it just for S&G's. :thumbsup:

And I kinda wanna keep track of how much I spend on it.

Vehicle: 1993 Ford F150 single cab stepside short bed 4x4.
Motor: Stock 5.0L with 198,8xx miles
Transmission: Used AOD Automatic with shifter selected overdrive, not push button.
Exhaust: True dual 2.5" through cheap glasspacks out the back with echo tips.

Spent $2800

First work done.

New brakes, rotors and drums all the way around, repack front hubs, new wheel seals and one wheel bearing.

~$300

TOTAL: $3100

NEXT - Radio took a dump.

Bought Alpine iDA-X303 - $100

TOTAL: 3200

NEXT - u joints needed in rear driveshaft.

$15

TOTAL: $3215

NEXT - Modification.

HID kit and headlight housings.

HID's - $66
Housings - $110

TOTAL: $3391

Before:

After:

NEXT - Motor isn't quite enough.

Bought - 5.0L HO Motor, torque converter, computer and harness.

$265

TOTAL - $3656

Tore the motor down to find out it has different heads, forged pistons and has been bored .030 over. Still has some of the cross hatching in the cylinder walls.

NEXT - Bought heads, ARP bolts, pushrods and 1:6 roller rockers

$850

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60259/

TOTAL: $4506

And this is where the build currently sits. More to come as I buy stuff and progress with the build.

Next on my list of goodies is exhaust, headers, cam, and head bolt bushings.

Got these tips given to me for free.

Going to run new 2.5" pipe, no cats, most likely Magnaflow mufflers and turn it out in front of the passenger rear tire like a lightning.

This is the cam I'm getting.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51402000/

Headers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-3510/

Head bolt bushings. (Heads are made to fit a 5.8 which uses larger head bolts so you have to use them to reduce the hole size)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51400419/

Stay tuned for more.

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Um, no and no. 1 they help with using the front step getting into the bed and 2 I don't want holes in the side of my cab. lol

Plus they are handy when riding on the side of the truck. Gives you a handle to hang on other than the mirror.

And no to the bed swap because yours is crap compared to mine. :D I love my stepside.

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edited first post with pics of the heads/bolts/rockers. :D

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a crappy cell phone pic of how they look on the road. (Still need some tweaking)

And here is how the truck sits now.

·
Banned
7,816 Posts
Plan on lifting at all?

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope. It's already almost too tall to load my ATV into. I don't think my bike will clear without being backed up to a hill or something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
did that 5.0l originaly come out of a truck or a fox body stang? if you can you may wanna use an intake from a 5.0 mustang, they will give you a night and day difference from truck intake upper and lower. Man you got it at a good deal tho... Wish I could find a deal like that.. Looks really good I like it alot.. oh and if that engine came out of a fox body mustang years 88-93 it shoulda had forged pistons stock. Those rocker arms are gonna really free up some horespower too. I changed rocker arms from the stock stamped steel to rollers in an old chevy small block and gained over 20 horsepower everywhere in the power band..

·
Premium Member
9,929 Posts
The engine's out of a Lincoln Towncar, IIRC.

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt is right. It came out of a Towncar. I am putting a GT40 intake from an Exploder on it. They are identical to the lightning intakes but cast instead of handmade.

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moar pics!

You could still see the cross hatching on the cylinder walls but we honed them anyways. The block was then washed down with kerosene and scrubbed clean, then hosed off with berrymans, then blow dried.

Then after it sat a few minutes out came the rattle cans and I painted it gloss black and wiped the cylinder walls down with WD-40 so they wont instantly rust over.

Hopefully next week it will be going together.

·
Banned
7,816 Posts
This needs more cowbell, and less faggotry.

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brass freeze plugs installed:

Cam bearings installed:

Cam plug installed:

Cam installed:

Crank sitting on the lathe:

Crank spinning on the lathe using emery cloth to polish up the surfaces:

Crank installed, plasti-gauged, end play checked and torqued:

Mains had just under .001 clearance. It's a little snug but it should work great. They are .010 over stock.

And this is how it sits now:

·
3/17/2011 RIP
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. It sure has come a long way from when it started. lol

My buddy is going to Texas all next week so I wont be working on it again till he gets back. But it should start moving pretty quick now that all the money spending is pretty much done with.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts