Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question: is there a difference between " speaker " wire and " power " wire?

The reason I ask is, i'm planning on pushing 8k+ watts to 4 18's and I'm thinking 8 gauge wire should be good enough for feeding the subs... Is there some important difference between stuff labeled speaker wire vs. power?

Some important noise rejection stuff maybe, difference in strands? beats me.

what do we think? :sad5:

·
Registered
518 Posts
The reason I ask is, i'm planning on pushing 8k+ watts to 4 18's and I'm thinking 8 gauge wire should be good enough for feeding the subs... Is there some important difference between stuff labeled speaker wire vs. power?

Some important noise rejection stuff maybe, difference in strands? beats me.

what do we think? :sad5:
nope, its the same stuff, and even 8 gauge is overkill, 10 gauge should be fine, i know theres an article out there that shows speaker wire doesnt need to be too thick at all, even you're pushing major wattage

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope, its the same stuff, and even 8 gauge is overkill, 10 gauge should be fine, i know theres an article out there that shows speaker wire doesnt need to be too thick at all, even you're pushing major wattage
grooovy. 8) thanks for the info.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah EXO has a video where someone was using 2 subs with 8 gauge wire and did a 147.6db then went to 10 gauge and did a 150db.

10 gauge is the best imo for speaker terminal imputs of course lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts