Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you start typing your judgment the reason why im asking is because i really need an alt asap. my alt is on the toilet taking a crap as we speak and it sounds constipated, lol. its making some weird grinding noise every now and then and it gets louder when im on the gas. i know its gonna seize up soon and snap my belt so i contacted an alternator shop and was quoted a 130a stock alt rebuilt to a 200a alt for $175.

what are the pro/cons to a rebuilt alt?

BTW: hes already rebuilding one as we speak to sell me and is gonna contact me in 2days simply because i need it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
does anyone have ANY experience with rebuilt alt.......?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had my stock 95amp 3g alt rebuilt to 200amps. It served its purpose but it went out on me after like a year and a half. My voltage was dropping to the low 12's off of 3500 watts. My Mechman rarely drops below 13.5 on the same setup. Output at idle wasn't the greatest with the rebuilt alt. But since its already being rebuilt I say try it out and see what you think. Depending on what your running it may be good enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i say go with crownvic and go with that one but i would have searched the forums before you went with that.i seen a few on here or other forums for around that price.just try it out and see what you think,since its local.;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i say go with crownvic and go with that one but i would have searched the forums before you went with that.i seen a few on here or other forums for around that price.just try it out and see what you think,since its local.;)
yeah i thought about that but alternators are the most unpredictable things on a vehicle, you never know when they will go so i figured since im gonna go used i may as well go with a rebuilt one with warranty. plus its local.... so thanks guys for the input. i was really posting this thread and hoping that i didnt get any responses like...."hell naw, dont do it, it wont be able to charge anymore than 1 batt, so on and so forth"....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why not just replace the bearings in your alt you got now it would probably be the cheaper option.
i didnt think i could do that because its not the bearings in my pully so that meant i would have to go inside the alt. plus its just a good reason to get a high output alt lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I rebuilt my own it is a cs144 I got the 240 amp kit from springhill auto electric and ordered a smaller pulley for it offline and I also run an mla anyways 2 years later still going strong with the smaller pulley I am getting a 168 amps at idle and my voltage never drops below 14.8 and gets as high as 15.9 on the highway :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
All in all mla and rebuild kit and pulley cost me 300 but I am very happy with the performance of my setup and it only took about an hour to totally rebuild it :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I rebuilt my own it is a cs144 I got the 240 amp kit from springhill auto electric and ordered a smaller pulley for it offline and I also run an mla anyways 2 years later still going strong with the smaller pulley I am getting a 168 amps at idle and my voltage never drops below 14.8 and gets as high as 15.9 on the highway :)
we have a local builder who does the 240a cs144 case rebuilds and he told me he's never had a problem from them and as far as rebuilt alts go its only as good as the people that you have do the build. some do hack jobs with the cheapest parts they can find. over the last 22yrs i have probably installed 200+ local rebuilt alts with very few problems. btw i'm a ASE cert mechanic if your wondering why i have installed so many.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All in all mla and rebuild kit and pulley cost me 300 but I am very happy with the performance of my setup and it only took about an hour to totally rebuild it :)
wow i didnt know there were any kits DIY kits out there. what it just a drop-in re-wire type kit or was it more in depth than that?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we have a local builder who does the 240a cs144 case rebuilds and he told me he's never had a problem from them and as far as rebuilt alts go its only as good as the people that you have do the build. some do hack jobs with the cheapest parts they can find. over the last 22yrs i have probably installed 200+ local rebuilt alts with very few problems. btw i'm a ASE cert mechanic if your wondering why i have installed so many.
cool well i guess if i need to i'll just rebuild my own next time

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a complete kit new rectifier,regulator,stator,brushes,brush holder,bearings and cap :)
ive never opened one up....what tools were needed to rebuild it? is it a basic job for anyone mechanically inclined to perform?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive looked at HO kit from spring hill for a while now and if its worth it. Seems like a good deal but that usually isnt a good thing in this industry

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i got the rebuilt alt and im a lil confused now. when i picked it up i had them install a 1 size smaller pulley on it for free but when i installed the alt the idle voltage was going from 14 to below 13, up and down, up and down. i thought it was because of the loose belt so i replaced that-still did the same thing so i took it back and got the original pully back on, so now that the belt tension is tight it should be all good-wWRONG! now my motor does have a slight head gasket leak so when cold it does idle up and down but even after the motor settles down the idle voltage still goes up and down. what the hell.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its rpm dependent I put the smallest pulley on mine available and that stopped it so at idle I sit at 15 flat and on the highway anywhere between 15.5 to 15.9 but I also have a mla :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but its still supposed to put out the same as stock @idle. and with that smallest pulley what is the maximum rpms before its spins the alt too fast?......so its supposed to do this or what?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts