Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building a system for a buddy. ive had 2 sa 12's in a 5 cu ft box at 35 hz. he really liked the way they sounded. he has a scoin tc tho. so were gonna smash 2 12's ported in there. prob like 3.5 cu at 35-36. how would the skars sound compared to the sundowns? and how would RE SE's sound compared to those?. still undecided on amp. figure all systems off same amp with rated power to each

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Prety sure Jacob the owner of sundown helped build the Skars....so idk. Havent heard either but they seem to be kinda the same

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kinda what im thinking too. ive got 2 t3 t600s right now. i actually like them way better then the sundowns. they have more force to them it seems. sound bout the same tho. my feeling is that the SA, SE, SKAR, IA LI, T600's, AQ SDC2.5 are all about the same shit. i may be wrong but at least thats how it seems to me

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
kinda what im thinking too. ive got 2 t3 t600s right now. i actually like them way better then the sundowns. they have more force to them it seems. sound bout the same tho. my feeling is that the SA, SE, SKAR, IA LI, T600's, AQ SDC2.5 are all about the same shit. i may be wrong but at least thats how it seems to me
i disagree, they are all in the 600rms range but all differ in quality and performance. i had an SE and it smashed compared to the t-600.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I love my se's. I would hold on to them if they didn't keep breaking my trunk. That being said you know my vote. Haven't heard the skars but they look like a pretty beefy sub. And we all know what kind of numbers the sa's are putting up. I really don't think you could really go wrong with either sub. Me being a cheap ass I woild probably get which ever one is cheaper.
Edit: btw stay away from the se-x's their quality is not on the same level as the other subs listed. Look for the se's if you decide to go that route. ( I have some for sale).

·
Ja Marcus
6,975 Posts
IA Lethal Injection has a 3" coil. I would go with the SA.

·
Registered
157 Posts

why don't u just get him some t600 like yours, i always wanted to know how the T600 stacked up against the other 600 watts subs. And i think the t600 can be had for like $100 right??

·
Premium Member
11,704 Posts
Prety sure Jacob the owner of sundown helped build the Skars....so idk. Havent heard either but they seem to be kinda the same
They are far from the same -- and I designed them for Skar, yes.

---

As for the comparison to something like the T-600 -- the Skar and SA both have significantly longer coils so more linear excursion than the T-600 or even the T-1000 units. They are all 2.5" coils with round copper so pretty well directly comparable.

T-600 : 34mm
T-1000 : 40mm
SA-12 : 45mm
Skar-12 : 50mm

Obviously they are all different drivers with very different spec even if you just look at the coil lengths... the T-1000, for example, probably has the lowest suspension related distortion of any of them due to the large diameter. CMS distortion is even order, though, so often is deemed pleasant.

The SA and Skar would have lower BL generated distortion due to higher linear excursion. BL distortion is the predominant form in low frequency transducers.

Shorter coils with less inductance will have a bit less Le generated distortion which is an odd order distortion (unpleasant) as well. The T-600 having the shortest coil of them all thus generating a different type of sound that some people will prefer.

I would put my money on the SA being the most thermally rugged in the bunch followed by the Skar for cooling / coil size reasons -- there is a reason you hear about folks running crazy power to both of them.

IMO all of them are very capable drivers -- some might prefer one to the other as they will all have very different sound qualities.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are far from the same -- and I designed them for Skar, yes.

---

As for the comparison to something like the T-600 -- the Skar and SA both have significantly longer coils so more linear excursion than the T-600 or even the T-1000 units. They are all 2.5" coils with round copper so pretty well directly comparable.

T-600 : 34mm
T-1000 : 40mm
SA-12 : 45mm
Skar-12 : 50mm

Obviously they are all different drivers with very different spec even if you just look at the coil lengths... the T-1000, for example, probably has the lowest suspension related distortion of any of them due to the large diameter. CMS distortion is even order, though, so often is deemed pleasant.

The SA and Skar would have lower BL generated distortion due to higher linear excursion. BL distortion is the predominant form in low frequency transducers.

Shorter coils with less inductance will have a bit less Le generated distortion which is an odd order distortion (unpleasant) as well. The T-600 having the shortest coil of them all thus generating a different type of sound that some people will prefer.

I would put my money on the SA being the most thermally rugged in the bunch followed by the Skar for cooling / coil size reasons -- there is a reason you hear about folks running crazy power to both of them.

IMO all of them are very capable drivers -- some might prefer one to the other as they will all have very different sound qualities.
wow, that was amazing. thankyou jacob for clearing that up.

·
Premium Member
11,704 Posts
No problem -- as for specifically Skar to SA -- I designed the Skar to be a fantastic low-end bass woofer. Which is why it has a lower Fs and more linear x-max than the SA does.

For ultra low-end it is awesome -- and can even exceed the SA in this application.

Going above 30 to 40 the SA will have more maximum SPL potential due to a higher motor force factor and lower MMS (SPL Ratio is better).

Not that the SA isn't already a great bottom octave driver as well -- as you can see by many of the builds peaking in the 30s.

It really comes down to what you are going for :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts