Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this amp on Craigslist and was a little curious if anybody ever herd, did a little searching but not a whole lot of info.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy selling said someone makes them out of his garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw this amp on Craigslist and was a little curious if anybody ever herd, did a little searching but not a whole lot of info.

OMG....I have been looking for this amp for years...it was created here in Baton Rouge by a guy named Malcolm who worked with another guy whom I can't remember his name...but he worked at Aggreko for a while...but Malcolm worked at All State Audio in Baker...this amp was modeled on an old school punch 1000...this is the ULTIMATE CHEATER AMP THOU!!! Stentorian 40watt....but I KNOW THIS amp was made to push 4 12 inch speakers back in the mid 90s....I've even seen it push 4 15s with zero problems. And I'm talking about JL W6 12s...not some low watt speakers...this amp I think was on par with a Rockford 400x2or 500x2 punch back in those days....It was outlawed in competion due to it competing in the 0 - 100watt class in the Outlaw Funk the Trunk competition....for obvious reasons like it was punching 600+ watts. I had a RF Punch 100x2 that pushed somewhere near 350 or 400 bridged on 2 RF punch comp 15s and competition was allowing me to hit my 152.4 spl with my cheater amp...yet they wouldn't allow the Stentorian just so you understand how ridiculous these amps were. WISH I COULD GET A HOLD OF ONE IN GOOD SHAPE!! Lucky person who ever ended up with this amp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG....I have been looking for this amp for years...it was created here in Baton Rouge by a guy named Malcolm who worked with another guy whom I can't remember his name...but he worked at Aggreko for a while...but Malcolm worked at All State Audio in Baker...this amp was modeled on an old school punch 1000...this is the ULTIMATE CHEATER AMP THOU!!! Stentorian 40watt....but I KNOW THIS amp was made to push 4 12 inch speakers back in the mid 90s....I've even seen it push 4 15s with zero problems. And I'm talking about JL W6 12s...not some low watt speakers...this amp I think was on par with a Rockford 400x2or 500x2 punch back in those days....It was outlawed in competion due to it competing in the 0 - 100watt class in the Outlaw Funk the Trunk competition....for obvious reasons like it was punching 600+ watts. I had a RF Punch 100x2 that pushed somewhere near 350 or 400 bridged on 2 RF punch comp 15s and competition was allowing me to hit my 152.4 spl with my cheater amp...yet they wouldn't allow the Stentorian just so you understand how ridiculous these amps were. WISH I COULD GET A HOLD OF ONE IN GOOD SHAPE!! Lucky person who ever ended up with this amp.

The gentleman's name is Perry Babin that worked with Malcolm. He is also the author of bcae1.com (Basic Car Audio & Electronics). Amazing amount of information on his site! They designed and built these amps in Perry's shop in his backyard. He made 3-4 models rated at 2 X 50, 100, 200 & 100HC. These amps back in 1998-2001 were the size of class-d offerings today. Remember this was at the height of "cheater" amps. That was how I met him. He rewound the coils on a couple Autotek 333's to help me compete with the Orion offering of the day. He also internally matched the output so I could run the 2 amps to 3 JL 15W6 subs. Yes, 1 amp to 3 voice coils and the 2nd to the other 3. Both amps saw a 2ohm load and hit rather hard(high 140's Cherokee). One of the 333's might have been inside my box(wink).
Back to the amps. The 3 Stentorian amps were powerful and clean but the the 100HC was actually the 200 model with a different case that had a fan to help cool. Again height of the "Cheater". They would putout 15001600 watts @ 1ohm if I recall correctly. For a year or so I sold these to local shops in the area just to help get the name out while I attended LSU. That's how impressed I was! I had one of the tiny 50 watt models connected to my 3-15W6 @ 1ohm to demo for shops/customers. Amazing for a 10"X10"X3.5" chassis. At the time most manufacturers were making great products in the USA with much more support. It would be for BigDWiz to get ahold of some of these monsters. LSUBEASTMODE is 100% correct! Someone is very lucky to own one of those!!

Crazy this thread was necro'd yesterday!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one I bought in 2000 if anyone is interested😁... had it tested not long ago and it's still a monster.... it pushed 6 jl w3s like it wanted more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts