Car Audio Classifieds! banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with massivespl, you should try rebuilding the box and maybe consider a different amp before giving up and starting fresh (unless that's what you want).

That sub has got potential to get loud and low.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
box

the cadence puts out less then the 500/1 at 4 ohms.......the Cadence is one of m favorite amps but it doesn't shine unti down below 2 ohms......in my experience....if I run a bigger box and double the power I dont have to worry about bottoming it out or over extending the expensive bastard...LOL....that's all I need, another w7 to recone....:lol:

·
Registered
281 Posts
if u keep the jl500/1 build a new box that is 2.5cubic feet tuned to 32... that should get u more low end and be alittle louder imo. or if u keep the same box throw that cadence a7 on it. that should really make it shine.
I agree 2.5 cubes net tuned 30-32 and I guarantee you'll like a whole better ...and yes that 500/1 is under powering it

·
Registered
281 Posts
the cadence puts out less then the 500/1 at 4 ohms.......the Cadence is one of m favorite amps but it doesn't shine unti down below 2 ohms......in my experience....if I run a bigger box and double the power I dont have to worry about bottoming it out or over extending the expensive bastard...LOL....that's all I need, another w7 to recone....:lol:
If you can find for the right price W7s are damn good woofers one of my favorite sounding woofers.im currently running 2 13w7s at the moment since one of my mayhems took a sh1t on me and am in the works of having Chris (Zeus) build me new subs with my mayhem motors and some Ti baskets I have laying around. They're being ran in my current mayhem box which is 7.4 cuft net tuned at 30hz on a DD Z1a @ 1.5 ohms an ended up putting this up at the So Cal bass and BBQ meet last Sunday a 147.1 at 35hz....not bad for some SQ woofers :dontknow:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thanks guys

I have Zeus building me a custom 15" sub off a TC basket/motor for this build....should work out just fine! I'll post some pics or he can when he is done with it....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
one more note..

I did put the 12W7 in a 2.25 net ported box ran off an Earthquake phd2 @ about 1000rms that was rebuilt/improved by Spooney (awesome guy....highly recommend doing business with him!) and it has improved considerably......lost some of the snappy punch drum but gained output...over all the W7 is a great sub but I still feel like something is missing and I'm hopeful this new sub will feel that void.......cause damn it aint gonna be cheap time he's done with all the custom shitttt....LOL. Anyone want a solid 12w7 for cheap.... 300.00 plus shiping is what it's hitting ebay for when my new sub arrives. :D

·
Registered
33,855 Posts
the W7 is a good driver, don't listen to Jl on the box you need to figure out what you need for your situation.
what sub did you get to replace it with?

·
threw the hood
894 Posts
The 13W7 is still 1 of my favorites, but the 12W7 does a pretty good job in the right enclosure with 1000 rms.
If that didnt do the trick for you then you may want to look into TC Sounds revo or Critical Mass UL12. I had a chance to kick around a pair of 12" Revo's and I was impressed. The Critical Mass is 1 of the highest rated car subs by car audio magazine, I fell in luv the first time I heard 1 in a car so I picked 1 up in a deal (needs tinsel leads replaced) and it presently lives in my closet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your SQ is going to have a lot to do with your entire system. A 12w7 is fantastic. A 12w6 some argue are more musical. I prefer the W6 line. At some point if you are dead set on SQ you will give up SPL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also
I've been out of the loop for a few years, kids, started a business...etc. etc. ....I'm sure ya'll can relate...LOL. Currently I have a basic system with a JL w7, focal polyglass comps, infinity coaxials for fill but want to change it up a bit now. I like the w7's as they put out a fair amount of volume and stay accurate while doing it but the one I have doesnt seem to get as low as I'd like. (ported to 32 hz. in small box)
Subs I've ran in the past were Diamond TDX, Oz Power series (really liked these got really low and very accurate) w6's, Arc, XXX original version, Brahma and many others.
I'm lookin at 1-15 , 2-12's, 2-10's or 3-8's have 1800 rms at 2 ohms to run the subs...would prefer to run 1 big sub , 2 tens or the 8's but don't want to sacrifice accuracy, and depth. There are many new companies on the market and they all seem to have good products but who makes the best for the buck that are as accurate as w7's and get low ? Is there a 15 that is fast reacting and tight that will sound tight like 10's but keep that low big woofer output ? If I do go with 10's or 8's will they have that deep low big woofer feel or be obviously tight and accurate but with the low lows? Apprecite all your input....
I also had a long hiatus from car audio. Luckily I have a few really good people I realy on. Skar audio is by far the best new school I have found. I run my old school Rockford Fosgate amps with the new Skar Audio speakers in my truck and let me tell ya... They are the s**t! Ds-18 in my wifes car are also note worthy! I would recommend either. I know Skar Audio amplifiers are true to specs, Ds-18 inflates the power ratings on amps.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts