Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I would like to compete this year and want some advice from existing competitors.
On a 12v system would you recommend a DD z2lv or a kicker warhorse? Price being equal what would you recommend for daily/comp use. Obviously the kicker warhorse is rated to put out more power but the z2lv is very flexible on ohm loads.

Any idea which will be more power hungry while full tilt on music? Let me know what you guys would do if it was your choice and why.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You think so? I plan to have my voltage sit steady around 14. The warhorse is obviously more efficient but I know the z2lv will still make good power at lower voltage. What kind of draw do you think I would see from both amps full tilt on music?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Figure out how much RMS you plan to run with the amp. Then factor in efficiency by dividing the RMS by what percantage of efficiency the amp plays at, at the ohm load you plan to run it at. Then, divide that number by the 14.0 volts you plan to run at and that's your total amperage draw.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping for someone who used it to give some knowledge on the amperage draw. Not sure what you mean by figure out the rms I plan to run with it. I don't have a clamp meter so I was just going to scope it and go from there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I looked up the DD amp and from what I gathered it produces 8350 rms at 1 ohm and is 81.2% efficient. So this means 8350/0.812=10283 total wattage draw. 10283/14.0=734.5 amps. So full tilt, the amp would be drawing 734 amps from your electrical.

·
1337 M3mb3r
3,991 Posts
I believe someone clamped the warhorse and got 6,000rms. I saw this in a thread a month ago or so I wanna say it was someone on team redstick but not 100% sure

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for lookin that up for me man. The thing I'm most worried about the warhorse is how different it is to wire up subs. Is it even possible to get a final load of 2 while using 3 subs? The push pull wiring system is tricky.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I believe someone clamped the warhorse and got 6,000rms. I saw this in a thread a month ago or so I wanna say it was someone on team redstick but not 100% sure
iirc they reclamped it and got 8k with rise. I think they said they had it setup wrong or something I dunno.

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
A lot would depend on whatever class you are going to compete in also. Is it wattage classes or fusing or what? Lower loads are needed by the guys that have restrictions. If you're not worried about it, just get the most power you can afford.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I'm not too worried about classes, what you think for just overall performance for daily/competition use for these amps. Pretty much just don't wanna regret whatever decision I make lol

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
According to some Europeans that have tested the Warhorse vs. other amps they have said it puts out lower numbers then a 7kW style amp.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have yet to hear anything about the z2lv being overrated, usually the other way around. Would you say thats the general consenses? I just really don't want to be let down by a $1k+ amp lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts