Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm very new to SPL/comp. setups, and i competed in my first comp last weekend and did okay (thanks to all those who helped me with advice) but I want to do much better next time. So here's what i am working with

Max Dimensions I can fit: 40" wide x 17" high (18 after double baffle for top mounted subs) x 20" deep.

I dont have meter yet (ordering one soon) so im just winging it with positioning and tuning frequency.

So here's the box I came up with real quick using torres:
5 cubes net volume, 43hz, 3-6" aero ports (port area 84.78) ports 17" long total with 6" external. ports facing forward (towards front of car) with subs top mounted.
Subs that would be used would be (4) Skar vvx 10's, and have an assortment of amps to chose from depending on what style comp.

I keep hearing different things about box size and port size so i'm not sure if this is a good design or not. And if it helps to know i hit a 140.5 at 42hz on a TL, IASCA style with 3 skar ivx 10's (300 rms subs) in a box tuned at 32hz that was 4 cubes net.

Any advice or tips from true competitors is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

And for fun, what I worked on today. Floor to sit flush with battery....

Figuring out dimensions for cuts

Test fit

Wrapped up, just a few more finishing touches

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
would love to give you some tips pm coming

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man lookin forward to em

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
look into building a port plug or something along them lines for daily driving then at comps.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you want just spl then ill go a different route of giving you advice

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im all ears

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
How did you arrive at ports forward? And what kind of power do you have?

Do all (4) subs up in a square formation (2x2) and do your external ports the way you're talking, but shorten them to ~ 12" or so. If you can get on a meter before the next show, test the firing to the side and back. If not, do your first run one way and the other run the other way.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i wouldnt be able to fire at the side because the box with those dimensions stated above would take up the entire width, and if i shorten em that much then my tuning would go up to the 50's, would that be to high?

·
Peel & Seal works!
7,087 Posts
what vehicle is it? staying with the saz-2000?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2005 mazda 3 hatchback and oh ya i have the saz 2000, a skar 2500, saz 3500, and skar 1500

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here's the car

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to just order a meter already, i was going to wait for the the group buy and get the SPL-lab meter but i dont want to wait till the very end of november to get it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i say the 4 vvx 10's in a 4 cube box like taylor said subs up port back/side on the biggest amp u got wire it to .5 for the burp. u may have to roll into it so u dont cut the amp out

·
Registered
721 Posts
is your box behind the back seat?

·
Peel & Seal works!
7,087 Posts
you dont "tune" an spl box. You add/take away port make it bigger/smaller until it peaks out the box. tuning in spl just doesnt exist. lol
my single 12 spl box is tuned about 46-47hz . 47-49hz is what my truck loves so i disagree there is no tuning to an extent. the op needs to find what his peak freq is and try tuning close to that. good starting point.sub and port orientation are also critical to each vehicle. op needs to get his/her meter and test test test.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
roll into it? sorry dont know what that means. you mean like turn up the volume to my peak playing volume?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts