Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Chevrolet Impala LT
240 amp mechman alternator
Car battery under hood, nothing special,
Yellow top optima in trunk
Big 3 wiring
1 Sundown Zv5 12 D1
Rockford Fosgate T2500-1bd
Running at 2 ohm and just not getting the bass I want.
I've had a setup before ran at 1 ohm and just seems like it hit way harder on a way cheaper setup. 2 pioneer champion pro series x2 ran parallel at 1 ohm on a MA Audio HK401SX. Like 1200 watts.
Anyway,
Light all around the outside of the car flicker upon bass response.
I'm pretty sure I'm underpowering the subwoofer.
I have some hum, hiss, little bass bumps crackling through the sub, but when I unplug the R on my rca on my amp it goes away.
I'm not knowledgeable in car audio too much.
Can anyone give me some advice or input, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
No I'm not using an HLC adapter.
I would get a digital voltmeter and start checking the impedance between each devices ground wire to a known solid and clean ground point. If you see any resistance is much higher than one ohm you could have a difference in ground potential that when you disconnect that RCA, you are breaking the loop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would get a digital voltmeter and start checking the impedance between each devices ground wire to a known solid and clean ground point. If you see any resistance is much higher than one ohm you could have a difference in ground potential that when you disconnect that RCA, you are breaking the loop.
I tried a SN1 noise reduction module and it helped but not completely. The stereo shop told me it was so minor that they wouldn't worry about it. But it's not their 800 dollar sub. I mean it rumbles slightly to sound, but when you touch the surround of the sub it has some kind of noise coming through. Just vibrating/rumbling with volume on 0. And if the sub is responding to that rumble at 0, then I'm sure it's doing it when music is playing. I can't hear it when music is playing but I just wonder if the rumble is happening with music and if it is that can't be good for sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried a SN1 noise reduction module and it helped but not completely. The stereo shop told me it was so minor that they wouldn't worry about it. But it's not their 800 dollar sub. I mean it rumbles slightly to sound, but when you touch the surround of the sub it has some kind of noise coming through. Just vibrating/rumbling with volume on 0. And if the sub is responding to that rumble at 0, then I'm sure it's doing it when music is playing. I can't hear it when music is playing but I just wonder if the rumble is happening with music and if it is that can't be good for sub.
So in this type of thing happens to me on an install I get kind of creative. I will disconnect the head unit and I will try a standalone
You could disconnect your source and use a standalone input like an iPhone that has an RCA breakout cable and see if it goes away. In the same fashionchniciansIn the same fashion take a standalone technicians amplifier and speaker (can get from Radio Shack) and hook it to your head unit and see if the hum is there. The goal is to isolate the source of the hum. Swap your L/R rca’s also and see if the problem follows the swap. Don’t overlook the rca cables either - I have seen them be bad before. If you want to get really crazy, taking oscilloscope to find the frequency of the hum and then build a filter to cut it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have an issue in the amp itself???? A bad/weak filter cap will cause this. I am an electronic repair shop and see brand new caps that are weak. Something to seriously think about... Try another amp and see if the noise is still there... If not, you know the problem is internal in the amp. Food for thought

1 - 8 of 8 Posts