Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm tired of making boxes for the truck that do alright, but aren't very efficient. With the box and the odd shape at the top of my walls, The port has been off to say the least.

so I've been thinking of doing a sealed wall with more cone area.

Doing maybe 12 10's or 9 12's IT will make the efficienty alittle better.

and might be better off.

so I'm curious to see what some opinions on some cheaper 12's or 10's would be, looking around 500 with all subs. give or take.

I'll be selling my lvl5 18. probably just the motor.... since there is a slight rip in the surround. I patched it up... but its not what it was when it was mint.

so 2 questions i guess what are some cheaper sub suggestions. as well as what a set price on a lvl5 motor, or a lvl5 18 that works, just needs a recone?

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any comments? opinions? etc?

·
Semi-Loud Trunk
1,950 Posts
Isn't just a box if you stack it to make it look like a wall?:dontknow:

You did say "Wall" right?

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
because the issue is that the wall is in a 2005 dakota... and i'm 6"3..... so to say the least... I'm all the way back. making the box slightly narrow. so when I put the sub in... it can't be there... making the port an issue.

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't just a box if you stack it to make it look like a wall?:dontknow:
English please? or at least a decipher for that language:dontknow:

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I had 8 10's in my truck not in a wall ported on the drivers side it manged to do close to a 141 with a passenger door open but the box was not that great to begin with though.

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I did a wall with 6 hifonics hfi12d4's on one ap1500.1 at 1.34 and sealed on music it did a 143.

but I'm thinking of something like Lanzar max or something like that.

because I've played with a few lanzar max's and not 2 aweful of a sub.

would also consider doing like a ported wall with 4 sa 12's...

or something like that but I'm really thinking of doing a decent amount of smaller drivers sealed.

·
Semi-Loud Trunk
1,950 Posts
You're saying you want to build a big box, I envision something else when someone says wall......

·
Registered
518 Posts
if walls dont do well, why not try a smaller build? Like 4x 10s or 3x12s or 2x15s instead?

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
um.... a wall is a big box lol.....

usually you build a big box. then add trim panels...

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've got 1 18 in there now. I haven't metered it yet... its a 3/4 wall.

my issue isn't that the walls don't work well. its just they aren't what the could be.

Considering my best sealed score was a152.9 legal, and a 156.6 outlaw

but with 2 lvl5 18's on 2 crescendo's strapped at 1 ohm. I'd hope that I would have done better. I played with the box a little.

I hope to play with the TL later this week prob wednesday. I know that this box is tuned nasty low with 90 sq inches of port at 5.7 cubes and I'm assuming if my calculations are correct low 30's

but the passenger seat is VIOLENT i'm thinking around a 147 sealed.

I might try 2 15's sub up port up. I know I build a system for a guy here a few weeks ago he has 2 lvl4xl 15's. with one sundown saz 2000 at 2 ohms atm until his electrical is beefed up then he will be at .5 and he does a 145 sealed at 30 htz lol

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not a blow through?
Because the amps and batteries are already in the bed. and I don't have the funds to buy a camper topper atm.

If I did, I'd be putting the batteries and amps inside the truck and using the bed. lol

·
Idk what Im talking about
8,346 Posts
because the issue is that the wall is in a 2005 dakota... and i'm 6"3..... so to say the least... I'm all the way back. making the box slightly narrow. so when I put the sub in... it can't be there... making the port an issue.
Eject from fighter jets enough and you can remedy this problem...

But yea, I like the thought of larger builds with lots of subs, seems like pocket change buying cheaper subs (to me)

·
Semi-Loud Trunk
1,950 Posts
Ahhhh, I got ya. We did one in a buddies here. Batteries and amps in a toolbox and sub enclosure underneath.....loud!!!!

PM sent.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i say do the big sealed box/wall. sealed boxes need love too lol, im goin sealed this summer with an X amount of 12s i wanna bring sealed back lol. somthing cheap, easy and straight to the point for the fun of it.

·
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:) any more ideas?

·
Stupid Loud
2,394 Posts
Do 2 12's in a large ported box. Subs forward, port up if you can manage not to put the seat in the cones. If not, subs up, port up. The problem with you 'nearly' walls and those big cones, you are creating a cabin that is conducive to high frequencies, and a cone conducive to lower. Smaller enclosure will help you keep your cab peak a bit lower, and the 12's will work their way up just a bit. You'll probably peak in the low 40's, but it will feel and sound monstrous for what it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts