Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
is strung out on QUAD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is the better box for SPL sealed port or bandpass?? i already kno im finna be bombarded with port but i also want logical reasons as to why. not jus cause its loud or everyones doin it...:lol:

·
Ω rise is way too high..
3,784 Posts
which is the better box for SPL sealed port or bandpass?? i already kno im finna be bombarded with port but i also want logical reasons as to why. not jus cause its loud or everyones doin it...:lol:
It has a specific frequency range where it specializes in constructive interference and builds up the wave at that point. Sealed plays more evenly over a full spectrum (supposedly)

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
He means ported uses the port to make the rear wave from the sub in phase with the front unlike a freeaired sub that would be more the opposite. But this relationship changes with frequency.

Sealed BLOCKS the rear wave's output from the hearing arena.

With ported boxes, you can cheat on output for burping because the port has no xmax limits(like a subwoofer cone), and the amplifier sends more power to the sub at tunning because rise is reduced and the subwoofer still dosn't move far. Thus you add more energy to excite the port, power(energy actually) becomes a giant factor in SPL.

The limit of power handling for sealed is how much power at what frequency will make it reach beyond xmax and far enough that it bottoms out, not quite thermally like ported box subs. Ported box subs will reach a limit because the coil will get too hot there is a resistance caused proportinal to the power going in the higher you go the more resistance and the amp will not be putting out as much power as the resistance goes up so you really have to stop.

Bandpasses are interesting because they can reduce cone travel distance more so then normal ported(even less rise which means more power(energy) gets put into play).

·
is strung out on QUAD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i can get with that. so in the sealeds case that old attage about applying more power to make it get down like a port is true then in a sense right?

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
EDIT:

Okay I get the question better. Probably not! You cannot really compare with the new age of ported subwoofers who's coils will hangle ALOT before getting too hot, and where the port has no xmax limit like sealed subs do. You can try but meh. And Sealed subs are better for daily and lower powered music then for SPL. You can still give em some juice but not comparable IMO for BURPING big SPL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts