Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new tweets are in and without going much into "why" here's basically the only way i can mount them to my interior mirror cover piece

I secured that angled mouting cup with plumber's putty which does the job just great as far as keeping the strenght and filling up holes but i think i will need something on top of that for a more finiched product. Something that will stick to plastic and plumber's putty and will be easy to sand and then paint.

What can i use??

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, Bondo.. or something similar. I'm just a bit confused as to which Bondo to use as there's whole bunch of different ones.
I also need it to blend in with plastic real nice (thus a need for it to be easy to sand) since i will not be covering entire plastic peice with it, only parts where that piece meets plumber's putty.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My vote goes to fiberglass reinforced filler or an epoxy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well anything fiberglass is a ***** to sand so i'll pass on that. I really don't need any kind of reinforcment here or a "har as a rock" material since plumber's putty is more then enought for those tweeter cups. Just something on top of putty to sand and blend in real nice and smooth with plastic piece.

I'll look into epoxy products, thanx.

btw something like sheetrock compound would work nice, to bad it's not a good product to use in the car lol.

·
Rippin and a Tearin
100 Posts
I used loctite epoxy putty. Came in a tube, just roll together and apply. Let dry for 30 to 45 mins and can be sanded and painted. Hard as rock and worked well for my tweeter mounts with headliner material over them in A pillars.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Rage Gold sands very well, check it out.

I would ditch that putty, rough up both pieces, smooth it in with reinforced filler, sand it and then use Rage Gold from there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
painted or wrapped...if wrapped, then "great stuff" gap filler

·
Registered
8 Posts
NO do not use bondo, I did that a few yrs ago on some tweeter pods
For my A pillars, it worked ok, but
I just started to back to school, for
Auto body And I found the prefect stuff, the brand I used use 3M
And was a plastic body filler, that was made for patching plastic bumpers, it is an epoxy very easy to
use, and sanded great!

Sent from my Conrad's IPhone in outa space!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
^That is definitely the way to do it. Most of the duramix stuff I have come across at the paint shops require a special type of caulk gun to use them, I think the gun itself was like 40 bucks, gay.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fond this stuff at auto zone.. worked great. My first try at doing a pillars and I'm extremely happy wit the results

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts