Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know the saying "you get what you pay for" but I was wondering about power wire... I bought the brand Bullz Audio 0ga off Ebay then was kind of thinking Damn that was pretty cheap compared to other brands. 50 ft of 0 gauge for $50. So I was wondering if I bought some junk or is wire, wire??

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Wire isn't wire, there is ofc(oxygen free copper) and cca (copper clad aluminum) ofc is better.kicker hyperflex is silver/tin coated ofc. Some of the cost is due to flexibility. There is also the thickness of the wire itself (strand count), not just the jacket it's in. Some has a higher strand count than others.

·
Registered
233 Posts
did the ebay advertise the wire as 0 gauge or 0 AWG ? thats what you need to look for with wire, if you purchase 0 gauge wire then you will be getting probably 50/50 wire to insulation and if you get 0 AWG wire you are getting 80/20 wire to insulation

What type of material was advertised, there is a big difference from CCA wire or OFC wire, CCA is copper clad aluminum or copper plated aluminum wire and OFC is oxygen free copper, the wire is 100% copper which is MUCH better at conducting electricity than aluminum thats copper plated

Bullz audio only advertises there product as 0 gauge and only says oxygen free, actually does not specify the material used, another thing i noticed is that the 50ft spool is advertised at 9.5 LBS shipping weight, that seems AWFULLY light for 50ft of wire, when i ordered my 25ft roll of 1/0 AWG 100% copper welding wire the 25 ft roll had a weight of 13 pounds,

so doing my research i would say yes you probably did buy poor quality wire

things to look for when purchasing wire

make sure wire gauge is AWG (American Wire Gauge )
Cable material is 100% copper or oxygen free copper
has a good weight to the wire
look for a large Nominal O.D thickness with a SMALL Nominal Wall thickness

hope this post gave you guys some things to look for when buying wire!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looking back the description says "oxygen free" but doesnt say "copper" specificaly. Well since I got 100 ft of it I guess I'll make extra runs if its thinner. lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did the ebay advertise the wire as 0 gauge or 0 AWG ? thats what you need to look for with wire, if you purchase 0 gauge wire then you will be getting probably 50/50 wire to insulation and if you get 0 AWG wire you are getting 80/20 wire to insulation

What type of material was advertised, there is a big difference from CCA wire or OFC wire, CCA is copper clad aluminum or copper plated aluminum wire and OFC is oxygen free copper, the wire is 100% copper which is MUCH better at conducting electricity than aluminum thats copper plated

Bullz audio only advertises there product as 0 gauge and only says oxygen free, actually does not specify the material used, another thing i noticed is that the 50ft spool is advertised at 9.5 LBS shipping weight, that seems AWFULLY light for 50ft of wire, when i ordered my 25ft roll of 1/0 AWG 100% copper welding wire the 25 ft roll had a weight of 13 pounds,

so doing my research i would say yes you probably did buy poor quality wire

things to look for when purchasing wire

make sure wire gauge is AWG (American Wire Gauge )
Cable material is 100% copper or oxygen free copper
has a good weight to the wire
look for a large Nominal O.D thickness with a SMALL Nominal Wall thickness

hope this post gave you guys some things to look for when buying wire!

Ahh dammit! But thanks! lol

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
This is 100% incorrect. 0 gauge and 0 AWG are the same thing. If you want to tell whether or not something is true 0 gauge/AWG, you have to measure the cross-sectional area of the conductor(s). 0 gauge/AWG is 53.5 mm^2 or ~0.083 in^2.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i would return the wire if possible, one thing you dont wana cheat is wire, i found that out the hard way when i ran my battery to trunk with shitty cable and would get voltage drops on a 400watt amp, redid everything with good beefey wire i get about .1 or .2 volt drops of full tilt on 1000 watts still running stock 70amp alt

here is a good comparison of good vs bad wire

from left to right, Rockford Fosgate 4AWG wire shitty caliber 0gauge wire and 0AWG Excelene welding wire

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is 100% incorrect. 0 gauge and 0 AWG are the same thing. If you want to tell whether or not something is true 0 gauge/AWG, you have to measure the cross-sectional area of the conductor(s). 0 gauge/AWG is 53.5 mm^2 or ~0.083 in^2.
from my experience of looking and buying wire whenever i see just 0gauge its bad wire that is heavy jacketed and when i see 0AWG the wire is always much larger with less jacket, i was only going on my experience, if i am wrong that i stand corrected and thank you for the insight

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
from my experience of looking and buying wire whenever i see just 0gauge its bad wire that is heavy jacketed and when i see 0AWG the wire is always much larger with less jacket, i was only going on my experience, if i am wrong that i stand corrected and thank you for the insight
Good 1 awg car wire is actually bigger than they need to be to considered 1 awg. The lesser stuff is almost exactly what's needed to be considered 1 awg. They make it look beefier with a bigger jacket but they are at minimum 1 awg if marked so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would return the wire if possible, one thing you dont wana cheat is wire, i found that out the hard way when i ran my battery to trunk with shitty cable and would get voltage drops on a 400watt amp, redid everything with good beefey wire i get about .1 or .2 volt drops of full tilt on 1000 watts still running stock 70amp alt

here is a good comparison of good vs bad wire

from left to right, Rockford Fosgate 4AWG wire shitty caliber 0gauge wire and 0AWG Excelene welding wire
That definitely puts it perspective.. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Just because it is heavy jacketed, doesn't make it bad wire. The Monster P400 I have has a big jacket, but still 0 gauge size conductor. What makes it bad wire is when a company advertises 0 gauge and it is 4 gauge worth of copper/CCA with 0 gauge insulation (jacket)...like the cheap one you showed in that picture you posted. There is a good chance that Bullz Audio wire is oxygen free copper, but it is probably only 4 gauge in size.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Good 1 awg car wire is actually bigger than they need to be to considered 1 awg. The lesser stuff is almost exactly what's needed to be considered 1 awg. They make it look beefier with a bigger jacket but they are at minimum 1 awg if marked so.
If it has a larger cross sectional area than true 0 gauge, it is probably to compensate for the added resistance of the CCA material.

And it is actually 1/0 or "one aught", not 1 AWG.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
250 amp ho alt

4- Cadence ZRS-c65 amps fuse rating 120 amps ea/ 1200 watts

1 JL Audio amp 75w x 6 / fuse rating 60 amps

I have optima up front and will have 2 either stinger spv70's or optima yellow tops in the rear.
I like those stinger batts over the optima's...

You'd be good with 1 run of the Stinger 3/0 or 3 runs of 1/0. Check out audiosavings.com for good deals on Monster P400 (Powerflex) OFC 1/0...~$2.20-2.40/ft

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
anybody tried the cadence wire? looks good and cheap but havent seen it in person yet!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts